Sunday, March 28, 2010

City of Thieves



City of Thieves has been on my TBR list for a while and when I saw that it was available at the library I scooped it up and enjoyed it. I don't read male authors very often- not for any particular reason necessarily. I think I just relate to the subject matter that women write about better? Is that stereotyping, close minded, etc? Hope not!

The premise behind City of Thieves just intrigued me. Two young men,Lev and Kolya, in a lot of trouble with the Russian army for different reasons, are given the task of finding a dozen eggs for a high ranking official's daughter's wedding. The two set off to find the eggs- really a very dangerous wild goose chase- and encounter many episodes ranging from disgusting, to hilarious, to shocking. Of course, since the novel is written by a man and the two main characters are male there is some sexual conversations. That type of conversation doesn't normally show up in the books I read but it takes a lot to offend me! :)

In reading two interviews with David Benioff I learned that he did very extensive research including travelling to St Petersburg. The reader is given the impression that this story is part of his grandfather's history. You learn in the interviews that it is just part of his fictional novel that he is hearing this story from his grandfather. I think that part could have been left out.

Have anyone else read City of Thieves? What about The Book Thief? I have read so much about it and picked it up in the bookstore yesterday and was surprised by the format? Anyone else?

Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment