Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The Sky Unwashed by Irene Zabytko



I'm not sure how I came to know about this book, probably suggested by amazon.com. I was only 12 and not very interested in current events when the Chernobyl accident took place. The Sky Unwashed is an account of the events and how the residents of a nearby town dealt with the aftermath. I liked the book for the historical knowledge I gained but some points of the book dragged on and seemed awkward. I now want to know more about the Chernobyl accident and the area today. I have found a few books: Voices from Chernobyl, Zones of Exclusion, and Chernobyl: Confession of a Reporter.

I'm also intersted in seeing Chernobyl Heart and Child of Chernobyl. I can't find either on Netflix so I will have to do some hunting.

Next on the to read list- Let the Great World Spin by COlum McCann.

Happy Reading!

1 comment: